Sunday, January 2, 2011

Did not do Homework (So I blogged about my Atheism)

Heyyyy. A second blog entry. After only one day. Time to waste time.

Instead of doing homework. I didn't do homework. I also listened to Tim Minchin, a pretty good comedian/musician. I discovered him through Filipino Freethinkers where he was presenting the "true message of Christmas". (I use quotation marks only because people have been unable to define what "true" really is. It really just depends on from what perspective you're using.) Here's the link:


Terribly good stuff. :')

The message was true enough for me. 

This brings up an interesting point. If you know me, you'll know I've abandoned belief in God for almost a year or two already. Earlier I started with an uneasy questioning stage. My religion teachers from first year to second year were the first ones to have be ask questions about God. Wait. Scratch that. It was really my 7th Grade teacher. That was because I had just finished the da Vinci Code. Please do not be too hasty in judging me. I'll admit, I totally bought it with the Mary Magdalene and the Holy Blood... (I was a kid! After watching Space Jam when I was an even younger kid, I thought you could dig a whole into Looney Tunes land. aaaand I have no idea how saying that helps me...) Most importantly though it was the idea of questioning Jesus that hit me like a brick wall. Not in a bad way, mind you. It opened up the possibility of questioning God and Jesus when I had been too afraid to cross that sacred infallible line. I became curious enough to ask the big questions.

The topic of religion is often one that is accompanied by a long series of arguing and bickering. In the end no one really wins. You really just pick your poison. I just chose to pick the more certain path. One where I didn't need to listen to an invisible voice in my head or sacrifice virgins or give way to old nonsense beliefs that the pain of childbirth is a result of God's punishing Eve or one that holds rallies screaming: "God Hates Fags!"

What I do believe in is friends and family and science and just talking about things peacefully. (I realize my terrible use of "and" and "or") Not believing in a supernatural god has become a luxury and I find myself totally unchanged aside from the fact that I have become more open minded, more suspicious of unscientific claims, more supportive of homosexuals (I only just kid around, AC.), more appreciative of the complexity of the world, more critical of the stupid government and Catholic Church and aside from a lot more things, happier to be alive today.

I always say this to people who ask me what meaning there is in being alive but having no creator. I tell them that it is up to them to decide. Our very existence today laughs in the face of improbability yet with enough knowledge of the science behind it, works perfectly with how the universe operates. We are here today in spite of incredible odds. So many things had to go right just for you to be here today. It is just too easy to say that God made everything and accept and worship. When you do that you miss the beauty of the how's, what's, where's and when's. The "why", on the other hand, depends on you. You have this literally once in a lifetime chance to make a good life, live with your family and be happy with others in what way you choose. You are in control of how your life will go. You choose how you want to live. I think it's wonderful that way and not a day goes by where I don't have that lingering feeling of luck and amazement when I realize that I am alive. My classmate and fellow Green Lantern fan, Ren Aquino, said something about how in the grand scheme of things we are just but an excess in the reaction. That may be, but that still puts forward the inescapable fact that we ARE. Here we are. That certainly put a smile on my face the night he shared it. It still does to this day.



* * *


I could go on and on about my beliefs but then that would just be tedious. There are so many facets in belief that you'd need a book or a series of books to go about it correctly. Also, thanks to Aimee for the blog support. It actually feels good to post thoughts for everyone to read. :)

22 comments:

  1. God loves all his creations and will forgive you for doubting Him. :) Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I need forgiveness for using a mind that He gave me? Thinking about why I'm here on this planet and not just listening to a 2000 year old book is a sin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the concern though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He gave us these gifts and it is our decision to use them or abuse them. the later being the root of all sin in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so there you have it: Thinking outside the box=sin

    Thanks Anon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooo! You've got an anon now! <:-P Congrats again. (How did you cover so many milestones with just two posts? :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. what milestones? those are milestones? :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. exactly. and God WILL forgive. :)
    you may not understand now. but I am confident you will :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a delightful anon you've got, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. totally bonkers and missing the point of you ask me. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. poor anon. :)) hiya rap! glad to see you're still not doing any homework. :-bd

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have an anon! And a funny one, at that. That is awesome! 8D Congratulations on not doing any work! -_- :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmm it's up to you if you believe or not. :D
    For me, the thing is it's , for the lack of a better term I could think of right now, depressing to think that we came from a mere Big Bang and end just beneath the Earth, seemingly purposeless and selfish.
    hey it's just what I think, Rap :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. it doesn't seem purposeless and selfish to me. there's purpose all around me. i have friends who i can spend time with. a family that bugs me. things to learn and read about. math to complain about. i don't find satisfaction in a trying to please a god that doesn't do a very good job of appearing to be real. i don't find purpose in trying to avoid going to hell and buy my way into heaven. the love and the friendship that i know exists is good enough for me. and "mere Big Bang" is a gross understatement of how everything came to how it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not all about heaven and hell, eternl damnation and gratification, eternal damnation and gratification. It's about believing in something bigger than you, something you can't explain clearly but feel like love. It's not something you know per se but something you experience personally. hmm i think arguing about this is futile because this never stops and I got tons of school work to do. =))
    Maybe you are really hopeless... for the moment =))

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Our very existence today laughs in the face of improbability yet with enough knowledge of the science behind it, works perfectly with how the universe operates."

    Beautiful. As a friend, I'm proud of the strength you have to open up and express your intelligent opinions on this topic.

    I'm not yet ready to give up on my faith in the existence of a God but thanks to you, your blog, and all our meaningful conversations in High School about this topic, the fear I have of letting go of having a religion has been slowly vanishing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard you say...

    ReplyDelete